Friday, June 28, 2013

BENEFITS OF MEDITATION PRACTICE



While we most often hear of meditation practice resulting in reduced pain and mental stress, increased compassion and loving kindness, and other benefits, it’s less frequently mentioned as a way to resolve phobias.  However, that’s my experience with a fear of the dark I’ve had since early childhood.  It’s interesting to note that the more consistently I practice vipassana, the more fearless I find myself in unlit rooms and outside at night.  Now I’m interested to try it as a way of coping with a life-long phobia of looking up at the tops of high buildings and towers during the daylight hours.  Along the way, I've also learned that maintaining equanimity when confronting a phobia head on is without doubt one of the most important factors in its resolution.

No comments:

Post a Comment